Sign in
My Cart (0)
All Categories

Keywords: Led Flashlights | Short Wedding Dresses | Cheap Tablets | Gopro | Clearance Sale

View or edit your browsing history Products I Viewed
Welcome to Dino forum, where all customers can discuss freely. Join the conversation and get quick reply.

Topic:How do I remove corroded and swollen batteries from a flashlight?

Reply to this topic Back to topic list (Replies:8 / Views: 2719)
  • Steven
    (From Saskatchewan)
    1 DinoPoint™ gained for this post
    How do I remove corroded and swollen batteries from a flashlight?
    Posted: 12/30/2009 11:08 EST
    The flashlight uses double A batteries and the batteries have swelled to a point where they do not drop out, so I can replace them...instead of buying a new flashlite its easier to use new batteries...so any suggestions?
  • Edgar
    (From Oregon)
    5 DinoPoint™ gained for this post
    Posted: 01/03/2010 11:30 EST
    I recently had this happen with an expensive MagLite flashlight that takes size D batteries. I created quite a mess by drilling out the swollen battery -- trying to save the $20 flashlight.

I aborted this mission half way through the mess... and chucked the whole thing in the trash. I saved the lightbulb as a spare for my new purchase...... Buy a new flashlight.
  • Edwin
    (From Oregon)
    Posted: 01/02/2010 20:29 EST
    I would get a new flashlight. If the batteries are that bad, the flashlight may be damaged too. Plus if it's already corroded in there, it may be hazzarous to your health.
  • Colin
    (From Kentucky)
    Posted: 01/02/2010 15:25 EST
    I would take it to a hazardous chemicals disposal site (if you phone your city hall or local garbage collection agency they can tell you where one is) because it sounds like those batts are getting ready spray acid everywhere. It's important to put the flashlight inside a glass jar until the batteries have been disposed of. Keep in mind the corrosion may have affected the battery terminals and thus, you'll need a new flashlight anyway.
  • Jeremiah
    (From Ohio)
    Posted: 01/02/2010 08:52 EST
    Actually buying a new flashlight would be easier and a whole lot safer! If the batteries are swollen that means they have probably leaked battery acid inside the flashlight.You'd have to clean it before putting new batteries in.If they are swollen they could possibly explore when you take them out. Flashlights are cheap, Why chance the acid getting in your eyes or on your skin?
  • Leigh
    (From Pennsylvania)
    Posted: 01/01/2010 21:28 EST
    Just throw the flashlight away and buy a new one. It's not worth the trouble to mess with it.
  • Bacon
    (From Tennessee)
    Posted: 01/01/2010 11:15 EST
    throw it out and get the kind you just shake several times.You never have to worry about replacing batteries.
  • Hume
    (From Michigan)
    Posted: 12/31/2009 06:13 EST
    Buy a new flashlight.
    You dont want to put fresh batteries in there because all the corroded stuff from the old ones will ruin them too
  • Fielding
    (From Nebraska)
    Posted: 12/30/2009 22:49 EST
    If the flashlight is not expensive, I would just buy another one. If not try putting it in the freezer and see if that will help. Vinegar (white) will help clean it too, but it seems like a mess that a trip to the dollar store would cure real easy. Is the time you would spend fixing this, equal what you would spend on a new flashlight?
  • Cheney
    (From Connecticut)
    Posted: 12/30/2009 15:22 EST
    A small flashlight that takes doubles As is hardly worth the hassle, unless it's a mag-lite. If it is a mag-lite, unscrew and remove the butt cap, then unscrew and remove the head assembly. Now you are basically left with an open ended cylinder with the batteries stuck inside. Spray some wd-40 in both ends, let sit a few minutes, then push the batteries out with a flathead screwdriver. Once the batteries are out, use a stiff bristle brush (like a baby bottle brush) and wd-40 to thoroughly clean the interior of the flashlight, springs, and contacts.

If it's a cheap plastic flashlight that only opens at the head, you can drill a small hole in the butt-end and use the same method as above.
Previous1Next

Copyright DinoDirect Corporation 2014. All rights reserved. See our privacy policy, terms of use, disclaimer and takedown policy.
Sign In submit Submit Apply >> Continue Join Now Add Store To Wishlist Add a new address Back >> Continue checkout Save Cancel Remove/Change Items Add To Cart Shop Now Create Register now Open a Case Start a Live Chat View all < Create An Account Return to Sign in Send Confirmed Application Email Verification Get It GO Enter My iDinor Life! Close Join My Homepage Continue Shopping Share Rewards Accept Accept and Check >> Search Back Close the case Pay Now Cancel Submit Confirm Save Click for more info Write a Review Yes No Reply Sold Out Size Guide Color Guide No thanks Continue Upload Share Rewards Accept and Check >> Search view more Next et Transaction Code >> Confirm Remove Upload Video Upload Images >> Continue checkout Get Free Sample Write a feedback Buy Now OK Start Chat Create An Account No, thanks! Go Remind me 7 days later