Customers Also Bought
- This Sand Hourglass measures the time by sand filtering down through the funnel opening
- The rate of flow of the sand is independent of the depth in the upper reservoir, and the instrument will not freeze
- Will add a soothing, meditative focal point to any office, school, or home setting with the Sand Hourglass
- The Wood Hourglass makes keeping track of time a breeze
- Assist you in the need and takes the guesswork out of timing your schedule
- Give the Hourglass Home Decor to your special one and tell her or him your love will be forever as the time goes by
- Material: Wood & Sand & Glass
- Size: 8 x 4 x 12cm/3.1 x 1.6 x 4.7in (L x W x H)
- Watching the thin strands of sand create much the same effect as watching the flames of a warm fire
- Wood frame will add elegance to your home decor. Assist you in the need and takes the guesswork out of timing your schedule
- The Hourglass Home Decor is an enduring and beautiful work of art that will provide a silent, accurate, and unobtrusive channel of time
- Add a soothing, meditative focal point to any office, school, or home setting with the Sand Hourglass
How Does an Hourglass Work?
- Design: The hourglass is a simple and inexpensive alternative to a mechanical clock. Also known as a sand glass, sand clock or sand timer, the hourglass measures time by the rate of sand passing through one glass bulb to another identically shaped bulb. The hourglass is constructed of one piece of blown glass that is pinched in the middle. When the hourglass is turned over, the sand runs from the top bulb through the neck into the bottom bulb at a prescribed rate. Once all of the sand has reached the bottom bulb, the hourglass can be turned upside down and will measure time equally, regardless of which side is up. Although an hourglass does not easily measure precise times, it is an accurate measure since the sand will always flow at the same rate regardless of how much is left in the top bulb
- Function: Because of the design, it is difficult to construct an hourglass that will filter sand for longer than an hour. Many hourglasses run for less than an hour, and some measure only a few minutes of time. Hourglasses are commonly used in modern times for cooking and playing games. Some people collect hourglasses as a hobby, and many older hourglasses are extremely valuable. The hourglass is often used as a symbolic representation of time itself
- Accuracy: Many factors affect how well an hourglass measures time. An hourglass must be placed on a flat surface for it to work correctly. The amount, type and quality of sand in an hourglass also affects its accuracy. Fine grains of sand work best, as rough grains will wear away at the glass and widen the neck over time. Poor construction will also affect the measurement of time, since the size and shape of the glass bulbs determines how fast the sand flows. Additionally, if the hourglass is not properly sealed, moisture may enter and affect the weight of the sand or clog the neck. This will slow down or speed up the passage of sand through the bulbs and cause an inaccurate measurement of time
How to Buy an Hourglass
An hourglass is a traditional device used for measuring time. The hourglass consists of two chambers-an upper and a lower. Sand falls at a specific rate from the upper chamber into the lower. The total amount of sand in the glass is designed to represent a certain period of time, whether an hour or only a few minutes. When all the sand has fallen into the lower chamber, that amount of time has passed
- Select an hourglass that meets your needs. Hourglasses can serve a variety of practical purposes. One common form is known as the egg timer. These devices measures periods of two or three minutes. They can be used in connection with cooking or even boardgames. If you wish to cook a three minute egg, simply turn over your three minute egg timer and cook until all of the sand has reached the bottom of the glass. You must buy a separate hourglass for each length of cooking time. Fractional measurement of the sand may be used, but is generally more difficult than using the entire volume of sand. Also, remember not to turn over a timer until all of the sand has emptied into the lower chamber. If any sand is left in the upper chamber, the hourglass will not measure the correct amount of time
- Use large hourglasses as a form of decoration or display. Larger hourglasses will typically measure an hour or more. Superseded long ago as actual timekeepers by the mechanical clock, they can act as conversation pieces in a home or office. Hourglasses come in a variety of materials with bases made of wood, stone, metal, or plastic. The glass itself may be either glass or plastic. Many times, the top is connected to the base by carved or decorated columns or supports. The sand inside the hourglass may be colored, or might consist of minute balls of colored glass. Hourglasses vary widely in size. Though those that measure longer periods of time are generally larger in size, it is actually the size of the opening between the two chambers that determines the speed at which the sand falls. A large hourglass can be designed to measure a fairly short period of time
- Choose especially elaborate hourglasses for their symbolic value. The hourglass has long been used to represent the metaphoric passage of time. Hourglasses with wings attached, or with images of skulls, can be viewed as representative of mortality or even human vanity. Many people use the hourglass to symbolize the joining of two people in marriage. The two chambers stand for the two equal individuals. The flow of the sand represents the exchange of love and ideas. Hourglasses have also had considerable allegorical and religious significance. If the hourglass speaks to you, buy it, and put it in a noticeable place. Perhaps, it will remind you of some personal accomplishment or future goal. It just might keep you more in tuned with the eternal rhythms of life and the cosmos
Tips & Warnings
- An ornamental hourglass can double as a desk ornament or paperweight. Match the hourglass to surrounding pieces, or choose an hourglass that will stand out from other objects and serve as a focal point
- Use your hourglass on a level surface. An uneven base will interfere with the movement of the sand
- 1 x Hourglass
If the order has not been shipped; please contact DinoDirect Live Support for order cancellation.You will get your refund within 24 hours.
If the order has already been shipped; you may return the item to us postmarked within 30 calendar days of delivery. Before that, please contact our Live Support to inform that.
In that case we will refund you the payment excluding actual shipping fees already incurred.
If the item is defective, please contact DinoDirect Live Support and send an email to us at email@example.com attached an image or video file clearly showing the defect of the product. And we will give you a response within 24 hours whether we will resend the item or refund the payment to you for compensation.
For customization, please consider carefully before ordering.Because we do not accept return and replacement.
|Unit Price||USD$ 7.15||USD$ 7.14||USD$ 7.14||USD$ 7.13||USD$ 7.13|
|Enter Wholesale Channel>>|
• If the order has not been shipped; please contact DinoDirect Live Support for order cancellation.You will get your refund within 24 hours.
• If the order has already been shipped; you may return the item to us postmarked within 30 calendar days of delivery. Please contact our Live Support to inform that.
• Please contact Live Chat or click here to learn more return policy.