Customers Also Bought
- These Russian Matryoshka Dolls set includes 10 pieces
- These Matryoshka Dolls are unique collector treasure
- Bright eyes and pretty appearance of these Matryoshka Dolls are eye-catching and attractive
- Notice the beautiful detail in every Matryoshka Dolls, patterned scarf and curved eyelash of this classic Russian Nesting Dolls design
- These Matryoshka Dolls shape are mostly cylindrical, rounded at the top for the head and tapered towards the bottom, but little else; the dolls have no hands , except those that are painted
- Material: Basswood
- Size: 14 x 10.5cm/5.5 x 3.9in(H x Dia.)
- Front and back view of the Matryoshka Home Decor Russian nesting dolls
- Bright eyes and pretty appearance of the Russian nesting dolls is eye-catching and attractive
- This Russian nesting dolls set includes 10 pieces
- The shape is mostly cylindrical, rounded at the top for the head and tapered towards the bottom, but little else; the dolls have no hands , except those that are painted
- These Russian nesting dolls are unique collector treasure
- Notice the beautiful detail in every flower petal, patterned scarf and curved eyelash of this classic matryoshka doll design
History of a Matryoshka Doll:
Matryoshka dolls, also known as Russian nesting dolls, are familiar around the world. The concept of one-inside-another has been used in other types of stacking toys, but the magical appeal of each colorful, hand painted Matryoshka doll has delighted children and adults alike for more than a century.
Matryoshka is a regional female name in Russia; there are many popular variations. Matryoshka personifies a mother of a large family, a woman who is happy, healthy and well fed. The name represents fertility and motherhood. Nesting dolls are symbolic of Russia; they are globally recognized as fine Russian folk art.
- Early History
The first Russian Matryoshka dolls were made in 1890 in the "Children's Education" workshop . An earlier nesting doll of a laughing bald man had been made by a Russian monk on Honshu, Japan. It is now in the Artistic Pedagogical Museum of Toys in Sergiev Posad, Russia.
Russian artisans had already perfected the technique of creating nesting objects. They were experts at crafting nested sets of wooden eggs and apples.
Nesting dolls have been popular play dolls from their beginning. Doll sets might represent fairy tale characters, historical events, or political figures. They are highly prized by collectors and are one of the most popular travel souvenirs from Russia. Matryoshkas were frequently custom made as wedding decorations or for special celebrations.
Some dolls were created to reflect ethnic or cultural groups. Peasants, gypsies, and royalty have all been represented. Early dolls were often decorated by "porking", or burning, the design onto the wood. The technique sometimes created slight relief surfaces. Antique porked designs acquire a desirable patina.
Traditional Matryoshka dolls are hand turned on a lathe. No measuring is done. The artist relies on experience and skill to achieve the accuracy needed to make the dolls fit together. The carving process is specialized; apprentices learn from masters.
Birch is a common wood used in traditional dolls. Other woods are also used. When the doll blanks have been carved and the artist has painstakingly made sure that the fit is correct for each piece, it is time to paint the dolls. The wood is first sealed, and then the hand painting begins. Souvenir Matroyshka dolls are painted in bright colors, and they often are holding baskets, toys or pets.
Modern souvenir Matroyshkas may be copycat versions that are molded or pressed from wood products. Each doll in a traditional Matroyshka, though, is carved from a single piece of wood.
Matryoshka dolls are made in all sizes. Some are so tiny that they are carved and painted using a magnifying glass. Others are quite large, fifteen inches or so. There is no standard number of dolls made to nest inside. Three or four are just as appropriate as 30. Children's play Matryoshkas were sometimes made in a "pocket-size" so they were easy to carry along.
How to Collect Matryoshka Dolls:
Matryoshka dolls, one of the most popular souvenirs of Russia, are a type of wooden nesting doll in which progressively smaller hollow dolls are stacked inside the largest. The original matryoshka dolls featured a pleasant peasant woman, usually wearing a head scarf. The name "matryoshka" comes from a popular Russian female name that is rooted in the Latin "mater" (mother). These dolls have been made for generations, and some are highly collectible.
- Learn about the history of matryoshka dolls. Sites such as Russian Legacy and Russian Crafts have sections dedicated to the legacy of the nesting dolls. Check out books about Russian art and European handcrafts or books devoted specifically to the dolls, like "The Art of the Russian Matryoshka."
- Explore the symbolism of matryoshka dolls. Many Russians consider them an image of fertility, with the healthy mother as the largest doll and her numerous children as the ones within her. Vibrant colors reflect the beauty of nature in painted flowers and careful details
- Research the types and worth of various nesting dolls. An excellent reference is the "Collectors Guide to Nesting Dolls: Histories, Identification, Values."
- Determine your collection's focus and budget. You may decide to collect dolls with at least six figures, for example, or vintage dolls worth over $50 each. Find a niche that you will enjoy, keeping in mind that it may change as you progress with your collection
- Begin your collection. Purchase antique or vintage nesting dolls through eBay as well as local consignment, boutique stores and estate sales. Find new dolls at some art shows, in Russia at gift shops and online through stores such as the Russian Store and Great Russian Gifts
- Display your wooden nesting dolls in a curio cabinet or display case, which you can purchase or make yourself
Tips & Warnings:
- Do not allow children to play with older nesting dolls, which may contain lead paint
- 1 x Set of Russian Nesting Dolls
If the order has not been shipped; please contact DinoDirect Live Support for order cancellation.You will get your refund within 24 hours.
If the order has already been shipped; you may return the item to us postmarked within 30 calendar days of delivery. Before that, please contact our Live Support to inform that.
In that case we will refund you the payment excluding actual shipping fees already incurred.
If the item is defective, please contact DinoDirect Live Support and send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org attached an image or video file clearly showing the defect of the product. And we will give you a response within 24 hours whether we will resend the item or refund the payment to you for compensation.
For customization, please consider carefully before ordering.Because we do not accept return and replacement.
|Unit Price||USD$ 18.89||USD$ 18.11||USD$ 17.34||USD$ 16.30||USD$ 16.30|
|Enter Wholesale Channel>>|
• If the order has not been shipped; please contact DinoDirect Live Support for order cancellation.You will get your refund within 24 hours.
• If the order has already been shipped; you may return the item to us postmarked within 30 calendar days of delivery. Please contact our Live Support to inform that.
• Please contact Live Chat or click here to learn more return policy.